State of Email Marketing in Online Retail in India 2014


  1. Email marketing stands out as the primary online marketing activity for eTail marketers at 31%, followed by Social Media Marketing and Search Marketing at 23% and Websites at 19% respectively.
  2. 46% of the respondents shared that a quarter to half of all their email marketing messages will be viewed on mobile devices in 2014. A further 42% was even more confident and chose the 50% to 75% option for the same.
  3. 15% of the survey respondents are looking to increase their budget by over 51% while 11% of marketers are looking at a minimum increase in budget (less than 5%).
  4. 27% of the eTail marketers have allocated upto 75% of their marketing budgets towards online marketing activities. At the same time, a slightly smaller group (at 15%) has allocated even more to take it up to 50% of the total marketing budget being ear marked for online activities.
  5. From the 85 eTailing websites analysed we found out that about 61% of them are following an easy Sign-up process to attract more new subscribers. Meanwhile 19% of the eTailing websites are following medium Sign-up process and 20% have a lengthy Sign-up process.
  6. 12% eTailers out of the 85% eTailing websites analysed have adopted the Double Opt-in process and the rest 88% are still using the Single Opt-in process.
  7. A good 42% of eTail marketers are sending out Programmatic emails. This clearly showcases that marketers have begun to realize its importance and are now more concerned about the shift in the marketplace.
  8. Shopping cart abandonment is an issue that is giving nightmares to all eTailing websites owners, but only 27% of the marketers have adopted the cart abandonment program and the rest 73% are still lacking.
State of Email Marketing: Retail Online in India

Annual Online Marketing Research Reports

Octane Research’s Annual Reports (State of online marketing in India etc.) drive comprehensive analyses which are tailored to meet the requirements of the India Marketer and provide them with insights to leverage multiple channels for consistent customer experience and engagement rich conversions.

The Annual State of Online Marketing research report is a one of a kind of ‘Voice of India Marketer’ report in India that tracks how India marketers forecast the next 12 months. Our research insights help India marketers in planning of their budgets & learn best practices towards a higher success on execution of digital marketing engagements. 10 years+ running, with a reach of over 2400 marketers across leading brands in India.

India Online Marketing Industry Research Reports

Octane’s Industry Reports are powerful and actionable business tools that collate in-depth strategic insights and analysis over the several sectors in India. This research platform will enable India marketers to track the performance and profitability of the industry they belong to.

As every industry has its own nuances, therefore Octane Industry Research collates the knowledge and awareness from the experienced industry specialists which helps the marketer to make sound strategic decisions and get positioning in the market place.

Our Partners

Our Partners