State of Email Marketing in India 2014
- More users in India access internet through mobile internet than on fixed lines. We have also seen a corresponding impact on email marketing engagement in 2013. Email Opens on Mobile Platforms have doubled up over the last six months of 2013 with Android platform showing a 100% growth. We predict that somewhere in 2014 email marketing consumption on mobile will overtake the desktop share.
- Most email marketing campaigns are not optimized yet for mobile device form factors (Tablets, Phones, Phablets etc.) and hence are holding back higher rates of returns on investments in Email Marketing. In our assessment, more marketers will deploy responsive design, live content etc. in their email marketing programs in 2014 to increase CTRs and conversions.
- Marketers have been cautiously integrating their promotional email campaigns and their
transactional email alerts. ‘TransPromo’ as an opportunity to upsell and cross sell, is finally becoming a reality in India.
- Retail and Travel & Hospitality sectors have been the best users of email marketing channel in 2013 with a sharp increase in the usage by the BFSI sector. We predict a higher usage of email marketing communication in 2014 by companies in banking & capital markets including shareholder communications.
- Because of the currency fluctuation, CPM rates with international quality ESPs have gone up by up to 25%. Most marketers have begun to realize the importance of email marketing with a larger emphasis on campaign performance and email marketing’s contribution to the revenue & other campaign goals, than cheap rates.
- We have seen an increase in deployment of Proactive Email Marketing Programs like Welcome Email, Cart Abandonment Program, Inactive Subscribers Program etc. in the second half of 2013. We forecast this as a major trend for 2014 with marketers in India moving from manual sporadic interventions to sustained programmatic execution of personalized and targeted email marketing campaigns.
- According to marketers in India, Content (at 50%), Frequency/Volume of sending (at 46%) and Black Listing/Sender Reputation (at 34%) are the top three factors impacting inbox deliverability rates for Email campaigns.****
- 36% of the marketers in India feel that a strong anti-spam law like the CAN-SPAM (USA) would help curb the menace of spam in India. A smaller group at 30% believes that a ‘code of conduct’ for Indian marketers by an industry body like IAMAI or DMAi would be effective.
You can download the report without registering. Please subscribe to our newsletter to get alerted on such publications. Be the first to know.